2017 Choral Festival Audition Requirements/Information
Approximately 335 auditioned high school singers from more than 100 high schools will participate in the Festival Choir. High School students enrolled in their school’s choral program during either term of the 2016-2017 school year are eligible to audition. Home-schooled students taking private voice lessons are eligible (providing the teacher sponsors and prepares the student for the Festival).
Schools with a choral enrollment of less than 100 may have a maximum of 8 students tryout. Schools with a choral enrollment of 100 or more students may have a maximum of 10 students tryout. No school may have more than 4 students tryout on any one voice part (no more than a total of 4 sopranos, etc.).
Calculation of choral enrollment is based in your annual enrollment without counting students more than once. Thus, a student enrolled in both semesters would be counted as one student, not two.
High school students enrolled in their school’s choral program during either term of the 2016-2017 school year are eligible to audition.
Each student will sing his/her voice part from any selection on the state high school choral contest list, Grade 4, 5, or 6. (see the NCMEA web site). Students may also audition on the Honors Chorus tryout piece for this year, or any of the previous 5 years. There is neither sight singing nor a fee charged to audition.
In selecting tryout pieces keep the following in mind:
- Pieces must be on the contest list (grade 4, 5, or 6) or the Honors Chorus tryout selection for this year or any of the previous 5 years.
- Points will be deducted for unapproved music.
- Pick something that shows off the voice at its best.
- Pieces should show range in the part selected: Ex., first sopranos should demonstrate the ability to sing to at least “a” above the staff, second basses should demonstrate the ability to sing below the staff, etc. Avoid pieces with limited range!
- Altos, Tenors, & Basses should avoid pieces that have mostly the melody part.
All auditions must be accompanied either by recording or piano.
For a cappella selections, all voice parts must be played. This practice maintains key center reference for both the singer and the judge. Those singing without accompaniment will have points deducted.
Playback equipment supporting CD or MP3 will be provided. If you wish to sing with live accompaniment, you must bring your own pianist.
Auditions are limited to 2 minutes including piano introduction, etc.
Make clearly marked cuts in the music if necessary.
Auditions for the 2017 Festival will be held in early October of 2016. To request an audition, please complete the 2017 MHU Choral Festival Audition Request Form
For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org